Sleep problems are nowhere to be remembered from our busy and especially “social” society. A recent study of sleep behavior among Dutch people by the NSWO (Association for Sleep and Watch Research) shows that half of the Dutch are not satisfied with their sleep! One in three is tired during the day and one in five does a nap during the daytime.
Sleeping habits Dutch
The NSWO investigated people’s sleep habits and found that the average Dutchman had poor sleep habits at nahoud. To name two important conclusions from the investigation quickly; Dutch people are drinking more and more alcohol for bedtime, and we take our mobiles and tablets to bed for some time, facebook, wordfeuten, tinder or snapchat!
I make a distinction between dissatisfied about sleep, sleep problems, and sleep disorders.Everyone may have a lesser night, for example, a party, stress, butterfly in the stomach, or something that you look forward to or just look at. But in my view this does not make any real sleep problems.
When someone with regular problems has a good time to sleep … and if you get tired of being tired and / or unable to concentrate properly during the day, you can certainly speak of sleep problems or even a sleep disorder .
In sleeping problems, I mainly think of falling asleep, waking up at night often, difficulty in getting up and simply sleeping too little. In a sleep disorder, I think of the more chronic problems. Sleeping regularly or even daily , and often can not work properly during the day.
Recognize sleeping problems
The main sign of sleep problems (and sleep disorders) is tired during the daytime. You are sleepy, do not have energy, you can not concentrate, and you probably also have trouble getting up. During the day you often need a nap (or a lot of coffee).
When you are often struggling to fall asleep, you will notice this consciously. However, it may also be that you are wrong to sleep well and you are not aware of it. Even if you fall asleep quickly, you will not wake up at night, but you may be suffering from sleep problems or a sleep disorder. For example, you can sleep too much .. yes idd, sleep too much and still be tired! Sleep apnea is also common in sleep apnea , but sleep remains tired during the day.
Common sleep problems
– Do not meet your sleep needs, ie a sleep shortage .
– Difficult with getting up and / or snoozing often.
– Too much sleep , yes, that too
– Do not fall asleep.
– Often wake up.
– (te) Wake up early.
– Snoring , of course, most annoying for any partner!
Causes of sleep problems
There are many reasons why we sleep badly. However, many of these bad sleep habits are built in our present society. Wrong (sleep) habits are also to a large extent also just ignorance in humans, simply do not know that certain habits negatively affect sleep quality.
It is often ignorance
At social level, this problem is difficult to break even though growing attention to sleep is definitely a step in the right direction. At the personal level, however, practical and effective immediate action is taken. The first step is simply gaining some basic knowledge and finding out what’s wrong with you … and it seems that you are already doing it!
In addition, approaching and changing all (bad) habits requires of course some discipline and perseverance, and that is not the case with sleep habits.
I’ll keep it simple. I will provide you with a summary of some of the major causes for sleep problems. Ask yourself to guess if you’re “guilty” of these sleep sins!
The 7 Sleeping Sins
1. Wrong activities in the evening
Many people are used to watching TV, computer, working, sports, socializing, social media, and socializing. All activities that stimulate body and mind too much and thus keep awake.
2. Stress and take a rest
Many people just begin to pee at the moment they go to bed. Not surprisingly, because we often get a lot more distraction for example by working, TV, computer or mobile .
3. Inadequate exercise
An active lifestyle promotes proper hormone retention, relaxation, day-night rhythm and a good night’s sleep.
4. Bad food
You sometimes hear people saying, “Your diet determines your sleep.” I am sure that food is generally an important factor for good sleep. In addition, people often eat late in the evening late to heavy and too fat, so your body needs to work hard at night to handle all that gang, and that is at the expense of your sleep. In addition, many people also use other stimulating or sleep-suppressing drinks such as coffee and alcohol.
5. Bad sleeping environment
This includes many aspects like the layout of your bedroom, your bed, mattress, duvet and bedding. Your bedroom must be the safest and most comfortable place of your home, but many people may or may not know to create a comfortable sleeping place.
6. Incorrect exposure to light
Many people do not get enough sunlight during the day, and keep the lights in the evening for too long. There is the negative effect of the blue light from the displays on top of that. This wrong supply and exposure to light disregards our day and night rhythm.
Nowadays, there are also smart eyewear available that can provide a result. These filter glasses (or computer glasses ) filter the blue light from screens so that the production of sleep hormones is not disturbed.
7. No regularity
Many people do not have any regularity in their sleep patterns. Every evening at another time to bed, no fixed times rise, and weekends differ greatly from weekends, our entire sleep wake rhythm disrupts.
Solving sleep problems
The first step has already been done, you know now, if it’s okay, you’re wrong with your habits. The second step, and of course the difficult, is to break that habit!
You solve your sleep problems by addressing the cause … by turning the wrong habits to healthy habits. If you have zero regularity in your sleep time, take care for regularity. Have you been up to sleep just before sleep, light off the lights for an hour before going to bed. Exchange the last hour before going to bed with your tablet .. or take a bath before you go to sleep. And so of course I can continue for a while! This is applicable to all sleep sins just named.
Break through your bad habits
22 Tips to solve your sleep problems
With this still a list of practical sleeping tips that can help you solve your sleep problems and sleep better. I have classified the tips for the 5 Elements of a good night’s sleep as I describe in my free e-Book .
– Make sure that you are exposed to daylight and that you limit bright and artificial light in the evening. Damp your lights well before bedtime so that the production of sleep hormone melatonin is promoted by the body. In the article ” The influence of daylight ” you read more about the precise operation.
– Your sleep rhythm also greatly affects your sleep quality. Go to bed (reasonably) fixed times and get up at fixed times. Do not wake up too much this weekend to avoid disturbing your sleep wake! This is the reason why many people sleep worse on Sunday .
– A regular evening ritual helps you fall asleep. If you go to bed before bedtime, your body will recognize these activities (unconsciously) at some point. You give your body and mind so unconscious “signals” that it’s almost time to sleep, on which your body will “prepare” it by creating sleep hormones.
– Stop snoozing ! This disregards your system and only makes you tired of your bed.
– Do not eat heavy or fat meals a couple of hours before bedtime. If your body is still busy digesting your food, this may wake you up.
– Drink herbal tea before bedtime. No ordinary tea (and certainly no coffee) where thein / caffeine is in it.This works stimulating and wakes you up! Do not drink too much tea because you have to pee at night.
– Do not try too much caffeine during the day. Limit your coffee to 2 to 3 cups a day. You can also stop drinking coffee as early as possible.
– Some foods promote the production of melatonin (sleep hormone). Examples of this are milk and bananas . A cup of hot milk to sleep well is not a fable!
– Alcohol may make you fall asleep easier, but makes you sleep deeper and wake up faster.
– Make sure you relax well, and certainly go to bed in the evening. Try to do more than one hour before going to bed to do any active and / or exciting things.
– Exchange this tablet for a book! reading has a certain resting power. Read half an hour before going to sleep. Avoid the thrillers and other fierce material that continues to spit your head.
– Meditation is a good way to completely empty your head and to rest. An easy-to-use way of meditating is to focus completely on your breathing. Focus on your breathing completely and try not to think of other things.
– Do not try to lie in bed for too long. If you really can not sleep, you can go out of bed better to do something relaxing to make it easier for you to fall asleep. Of course, you can make sure you go to bed completely by reading or meditating for example to sleep.
– A hot shower, or better take a hot tub in the evening helps you relax and sleep well.
– Write your tasks for the next day / worries / stress / obligations / etc before going to bed. This way you can let go of this and do not let it go into bed. You could also take a note to bed in case you’re still talking about anything!
– An active lifestyle promoted a good night’s rest. You can not do it right just go to bed before going to bed
– Try to practice sports every week ! or be very active in another way (about 2 to 3 hours before sleep).Little time to go sports? Take a look at this Fit in 4-minute program for you!
– Provide clean air and adequate ventilation in your bedroom. Always leave a window on a mug. Dodge your room as well as possible. The darker the better. Light has a lot of influence on our sleep alertness .
– Do not leave the heating on at night. 15 to 16 degrees is an ideal sleeping temperature .
– Turn off electronic devices as much as possible in the bedroom. Think of computers, cordless phones, and mobile phones, wifi on your phone, your modem etc. The waves that emit these devices could have a lot of influence on our sleep. Like you, do you use your phone as an alarm clock? Then set it to airplane mode.
– A plant in your room is nice but too many plants in your bedroom keep your mind active and so awake.
– Make sure it’s as quiet as possible in your bedroom. Do not sleep with your TV or music. This can prevent you from getting into a deep sleep, and in addition you wake up quickly when you get into a slight sleep. Light and deep sleep alternate so you come to sleep several times a night. How this works, you can read the article about the functioning of the sleep cycle .
– At InSlaap you will find several useful tools including a free ebook and the ability to subscribe to the newsletter.
– Perfect sleep in 7 steps method : In this book (and e-course) by William van der Klaauw, initiator of sleepwijzer.net, you will find a proven and scientifically-based approach to solving sleep problems step by step.
And finally, one more important general sense of sleep … sleep enough ! You may think quite logically, but many people simply sleep too little. Everyone’s sleep needs is different so I can not call an exact amount of hours that you have to lay in bed. But if you are often tired during the day, this is often a sign that you do not sleep well enough. Try to figure out your sleep needs and / or feel, listen to your body, go to bed for an hour and enjoy it!