Sometimes your sleep problem is entirely due to the environment . Nobody will sleep when there is a lot of noise if it is too hot. But even your own behavior can affect significantly the depth of your sleep.
A room to sleep in
A pleasant sleeping environment can be the beginning.
- Get a good mattress and a pillow supporting the neck and shoulders.
- The bedroom should be sufficiently dark and quiet. Open the window for fresh air and not smoke.
- Set the alarm so that you can not always look at.
- It’s not supposed to do many other things than sleeping in your bedroom. Sex is great, this also brings relaxation. But activities like watching TV do not belong in the bedroom.
- If you long tosses and turns, stand briefly to do something else. Go read or do anything else that makes you tired. So your bed remains one thing to sleep in and not a thing to be in awake.
Use sleeping pills?
There are several resources that can help you get back into a good sleep / wake rhythm. Unfortunately, these are not usually long-term solutions.
- The Benzodiazepine drug can only temporarily solve your sleep problem. You will sleep an unnatural sleep. Often during the day you still feel drowsy and Benzodiazepines are addictive in the long run.
- Melatonin is a compound produced by your body when you sleep. When disturbed sleep you could swallow melatonin. Often this is also in natural sleep aids.
- Valerian root has a calming effect. For some people, this also helps with insomnia. Note that you can not just use valerian in combination with certain medications. Let your doctor know if you always use valerian.
If you have a lot on your mind or if you’re under stress, you sleep a lot worse. The following remedies may help you relax.
- Lavender, lemon balm, and a cup of warm milk sleep remedies from the old days, which however still doing well.
- Take two hours before going to bed a hot bath or hot shower .
- Go, before going to sleep, a walk or cycle. But not sports, it can become active again.
- Put a pen and paper beside the bed to thoughts of you write off. Recurrent thoughts you lost there.
- Have a worry time earlier in the evening. Go there, relax and let your mind wander.
- Try not to worry about lying awake. Everybody happens sometimes this. Temporary difficulties sleeping, do not say you never sleep properly. You can also quite a while with less sleep.
Try your sleep / wake cycle to keep as regularly as possible, so that your body knows when it’s time to go to sleep.
- Do not sleep too long into the weekend and take particular day no sleep in.
- How active you are during the day, the deeper you sleep at night. Make sure you are during the day so sufficiently active.
- Building off the day. Go late at night no longer active sports, but do things that cost less effort.
- Keep a sleep diary: what time you sleep in, how long did you sleep, how you feel in the morning? See if there is a relationship with a particular thought or action. Maybe you can change something there.
- A ritual before going to bed, it promotes sleep.
- Avoid mental or physical exertion. Television viewing is also strenuous.
- Go to sleep only when you feel tired. Stand up if you sleep yet after twenty to thirty minutes and do something relaxing. Repeat as necessary.
Choose proper nutrition
What you eat and drink can affect how you sleep. Some agents are exciting.
- Drink at night no coffee .
- not to eat a heavy meal right before bedtime.
- A glass of alcohol makes you sleepy. It is not called a nightcap. But more than one glass of alcohol before bedtime disrupts sleep. You sleep easier, but sleep restless and less deep. In the morning you feel less rested.
- Too much to drink, alcoholic or not, you have nighttime urination.
- Try before you go to sleep not to smoke too, nicotine keeps you awake.