Snoring is a big problem: there are about one million solid snurkers in the Netherlands!Often one thinks nothing is to be done but that’s not true. Snoring is the soothing, chattering sound that anyone can produce during his or her sleep. This is caused by air that allows the soft parts of the nose, mouth and throat to vibrate.
Half of all people snuggle sometime. About 40 percent of all mature men and 24 percent of all mature women snuggle regularly. Hereditary factors and age play a role. In some families snoring occurs more often. And as you grow older, the chances of snoring or harder snoring are greater.
You can snore if you are disturbed or by an allergy such as hay fever. Sleeping on your back also causes you to snore before. Also alcohol and other means that relax the muscles in the throat increase the chance of snoring.
Usually, someone does not blow it. It is often the partner who wakes up. Sometimes someone hurts so hard that he or she wakes up. It can also cause a dry and irritated throat.
Incidentally and slight snoring does not have to imply sleep quality. Regular and heavy snoring, on the other hand, can indicate obstructive sleep apnea . Everyone who snor must therefore wonder if he has no apnea: breathlessness during sleep. This is a serious sleep disorder with increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and other health problems.
Read also: 8 tips for snoring and 2 tips for their partners
Difference between snoring and sleep apnea
Snoring can be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea but not everyone who snores has this condition. Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder where breathing temporarily stops during sleep.
If you are tired during the day, while you have slept sufficiently or if you are snoring accompanied by a suffocating or acoustic noise, you may have sleep apnea. It is important to let this figure out by a sleep specialist in a sleep center. A referral can be obtained from your GP.
Causes of snoring
There are several reasons that make someone snores. Sometimes it is a combination of factors. Snoring is promoted by conditions that make the part of the airway between the nose end and the vocal cord closer, such as:
Relaxation of the muscles of the soft palate, the cough and the tongue through:
- Sleep on the back.
- Natural nose and throat cavity.
- Excessive fatigue
- Medicines (sleepers, tranquilizers)
Thickening of the throat cavity by:
- Burning stomach acid (due to a rupture in the diaphragm)
- Enlarged throat and / or nose strain. This is especially true for children.
Nasal congestion by:
- Swelling of the nasal mucosa by cold or allergy such as hay fever.
- Polypropylene (these are moisture-filled nasal mucosa).
- Tissue position of the nose shot.
Solution and treatment
What can you do to snore yourself?
The following tips can help prevent snoring:
- Lose weight
- Stop smoking, for example using nicotine patches or the famous book of Allen Carr ” Stop Smoking “
- Less or no alcohol for sleep (Avoid alcohol at least 2 hours before you go to sleep)
- Do not use a heavy meal just before you go to sleep
- Stop sleeping and / or sedative medication
- Throat Sprays (for example, Snoreeze Anti Snor Spray )
- Throat strips (for example, cervical throat strips )
- Nose sprays (eg Otrivin Saline )
- Nose strips (for example, Nozovent Alfaco Nose Strips )
- Nose spreaders
- Anti-Snap Brackets
- Anti-snoring headband
- Tongue Stabilizer
- Anti-snoring pillow
Clearing snoring is not always easy. If you snuggle because you have sleep apnea, the physician or specialist will suggest a targeted treatment after extensive research in a hospital, snoring or sleeping area. When there is no sleep apnea, a doctor may in some cases suggest an surgical treatment against snoring.
Operation against snoring:
- Removal of part of the hood
- Removal of throat and nasal remnants
- Removal of nasal polyps
- Operation at the nose shot
SNORING CAUSE AND SOLUTION | WHY DO YOU SNORE AND WHAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT IT?