Irregular working hours can greatly disturb your sleep rhythm ! Difficulty falling asleep or just waking up at work. How do you improve your sleep rate during irregular hours or night services? How do you make sure you sleep well during the night and what can you do to stay awake at work?
Working at irregular times has an impact on your biological rhythm . In this article I will go ahead with the above questions and I will give you tips to ensure that you sleep as well as possible during your irregular sleep times (even if it is during the day)!
Sleep rhythm disturbed by irregular working hours
Sleep when others are at work and work when others sleep: your biological clock is a lot of confusion! If you work at irregular times, this often has a big impact on your sleep. Your biological clock tells your body when it’s going to sleep. But do you sleep once during the day and the other time at night? Then your biological clock will not get it anymore. And that can have nasty consequences.
You can compare it a bit with a jet lag . If you have a jet lag because you flown all night, your sleep rhythm is also disturbed. And here you can have a week of trouble! Do you work at irregular times and do you work at night? Then your sleep rhythm is constantly disturbed. A kind of continuous jetlag thus.
Working at night causes a continuous jet lag
This can result in sleep deprivation and high fatigue. You are dizzier faster, you have a headache and less concentrated.
Of course you want to do something about it! Unfortunately, you can not always determine your working hours and job switching is also not the intention. Fortunately, there are things you can do to deal with irregular services and sleep times. That’s how you sleep better and avoid a disturbed sleep rhythm!
Sleeping tips for irregular services
• A good sleep rhythm for irregular services can be very difficult. You do not always say it, but try to run as much teamwork as possible. This way you can build a good sleep rhythm, even though you have to work at night.
• Make sure that these services connect as much as possible to your biological clock. This means: night services if you are an evening man and work early in the morning if you are a morning person.
• Are you at work and do you notice that you are getting sleepy? Then take a short break. Such a break between you helps you to concentrate better and prevent potential accidents.
• Provide good lighting at work. This keeps you awake and alert!
• Are you done with your service and is it time to sleep? Put on sunglasses when you go outside! (Sun) light keeps you awake, and that’s just not what you want when you go to bed. Also do not turn on bright lights at home and keep it as dark as possible until you go to bed.
Tips for irregular sleep times
• Drink from 4 o’clock before going to sleep no caffeine (and alcohol ). These are builders for your body, which makes you less sleepy.
• Make appointments with your family or housemates. For example, say what times it should be quiet at home.
• Do you have an early shift service? Then go to bed for the night and try to sleep as many hours as possible.
• Make your bedroom ready! Ensure good darkening curtains so that the sunlight can not shine in. As a result, you fall asleep and create a better sleep rhythm.
• Follow a regular ritual before going to bed. By following a fixed ritual you condition your body to go to sleep. I have previously written an article about following an evening ritual to sleep better. In this article, it’s a fast-paced ritual in the evening to go to bed, but of course you can apply it at any time of the day and will definitely help you fall asleep!
How is your sleep rhythm? Do you have irregular working hours and are you suffering from it? Maybe you still have good tips for others who are in the same boat.