Most people sometimes have their legs sudden shock or move, this usually happened just before you fall asleep and is associated with a sense of falling. But if it occurs quite often you may suffer from restless legs syndrome, also known as RBS. An estimated five to ten percent of all people older than twenty years suffer from restless legs.
Restless legs symptoms
People with RBS might be very tired during the day, this is because people with RBS may have a chronic sleep deficit. They therefore suffer from all symptoms of sleep deprivation. Think of irritable, mood swings, memory loss and concentration problems.
What exactly happens when RBS is not clear, but something goes wrong between the communication between brains and legs in deep sleep. Your legs start moving by itself and kicking, it takes about twenty to thirty seconds. Often it is so bad that the sleeper is awake.
People with RBS are unusual, prickly feeling in their legs, usually in the calves. To get off feeling they are continuously moving their legs. The move helps, but this is only short-lived. Further, RBS is not painful but very tedious and annoying because you still have the urge to move. If you do not do this because the symptoms are worse.
Restless legs treatment
If RBS is a cause of an underlying medical condition, such as diabetes, can help treat this condition.
Causes If the doctor can prescribe something a mineral or vita believe deficit against the complaints of restless legs .
It seems that peaceful exercise helps RBS, for example walking reduce the symptoms of restless legs , but beware, because a fanatic sports RBS may in some people make it worse. You can also go to sleep in a warm bath or massage your leg. Actually it is different for everyone, so it is useful to first try out a few things so you can see what works for you.
Although no agent has been approved for use in RBS, there have been successful with a low use of Parkinson’s Medications Currently, t pramipexole. There is varying success with medication for epilepsy and ekele hypnotics. Your doctor can develop a medication plan for you that is most suitable for you personally.
Restless legs causes
Usually the cause of RBS is unknown. But there are many factors that people can suffer or that could exacerbate the RBS.
- Restless legs can run in families, about half of the cases it is hereditary.
- A deficiency of Vitamin B12, Folic Acid and Iron
- Diabetes, Parkinson’s disease , renal failure and peripheral neuropathy
- restless legs The disorder is more common as people age and the symptoms are often worse than
- Anxiety, ADHD, arthritis , muscle injury, cramp or insomnia
- Pregnancy, after childbirth, the complaints or disappear
- Certain medications can precipitate or aggravate symptoms of restless legs. These are anti-depressants, calcium channel blockers and anti-sickness medicines or allergies
- Caffeinated beverages can aggravate the symptoms of RBS restless legs.