If you sleep better, your body becomes less fat. Good sleep is therefore an important advice for people who want to lose weight. Research shows that there is a correlation between sleep shortage and overweight . On average, people with sleep deprivation are heavier than people who sleep well.
In this article, guest blogger Niels Bosman (known of the Carbohydrate 50 Days Program ) explains how this works, giving you 4 valuable tips right away.
The relationship between better sleep and weight loss
Weight loss has everything to do with your hormone condition. If balanced, you will naturally reach your natural weight. Let’s see how this works. There are 3 hormones that all affect our weight. And you advise that sleeping has a repercussion on these hormones.
Sleep better and reduce the stress hormone cortisol
Ever heard of cortisol? This is the human stress hormone. If you have a lot of stress, your body will add extra cortisol. This makes your body extra (abdominal) fat. Under stress, not only is psychic stress, but also unhealthy eating and very intense sports for example.
Sleep loss increases stress
Due to sleep deprivation, your cortisol value increases. A study of the Journal of Clinical Neurology shows that your cortisol value doubles after missing one night sleep. Of course, the reverse is true too. If you sleep better, your body will reduce stress hormones. So sleep for a minimum of eight hours a day in a dark room to keep your cortisol level low.
A good night’s rest causes less leptin in your blood
The hormone leptin ensures the saturated feeling after eating. Research has shown that less leptin is created in your body by sleep shortage.This gives you the feeling that you are not full after eating and you will eat too much sooner. For example, by eating snacks and sweets immediately after eating.
Sleep better and reduce the hunger hormone Ghreline
In addition to cortisol and leptin, there is another third hormone that plays an important role if you want to lose weight. This is the so-called ‘hunger hormone’ Ghreline. This hormone greatly affects our hunger sensation. Sleep deficiency causes an increase in the hormone Ghreline.This makes you feel hungry during the day and you will eat more.
Insufficient food causes too much sleep
Research from the University of Chicago has shown that poor sleep causes us to eat unusually. In the event of a bad night’s rest, our hormone balance is disturbed and therefore you will choose faster for unhealthy foods with very fast carbohydrates and calories. This is especially true when you sleep badly for a long time. If you sleep enough, you have more energy and choose to eat healthy sooner. The investigation showed that if you are too fat, you sleep less than 16 minutes than people with a slim body.
If you sleep too little, you get more hungry and at the same time eat more before your body says you’re full. It is also true that poor sleep improves food in the hand.
Tips for better sleep and weight loss
1. Go to bed with mild hunger. I always emphasize that starving yourself is very bad for weight loss (you will never get it full for a long time).But, there is one very important exception! Eat at least two hours before sleeping at all. The hunger disappears when you fall asleep, because you make extra leptin in your sleep so you do not wake up with hunger. “If you’re looking for a quick way to make the most of your effort with minimal effort, this is the best tip I can give you: go to bed with a little hunger.”
2. Turn off your TV earlier. Through television, computers and the internet, our nights are getting shorter. And we are getting thicker (almost half of all Dutch struggle with light or moderate overweight). You can of course do something about it yourself. Turn off the television earlier and read a book, for example. You will become tired of yourself and you will go to bed earlier. You will also go to bed more relaxed if you have a rest.
3. Sleep loss causes fatigue. In addition to the impact of sleeping on your hormone balance, it naturally causes fatigue. As a result, you will have less energy to go to the next day.
4. Cause and effect. It’s not just that bad sleep causes overweight. It is also true that healthy eating and moving have a positive effect on your hormone balance, which again has a positive effect on your night’s rest.
Want to learn more about how to easily lose weight, without exercising or starving yourself. See also Niels are 20 golden tips for easy weight loss .
– Jane Worthington, Adam Fletcher, The dream diet, becoming slim slim.
– Bernard Favier, Simple Slim
– Note J, Coles M. Duration and Timing of Sleep are Associated with Repetitive Negative Thinking, Cognitive Therapy and Research
About the author of this guest blog
This guest article has been written by Niels Bosman , Lyfestyle adviser and initiator of the EasyAfvallen.eu website and of the extremely popular Carbohydrate Arm 50 Days Program . Your progress is his passion. He has a background in behavioral change and communication.EasyAvfall is a blog especially for women with a healthy lifestyle.