JETLAG EXPLAINED SYMPTONS, SOLUTIONS AND PREVENTION
Jet lag is a circadian rhythm disorder and occurs when you crossed many time zones so quickly in a short time that the circadian rhythm not balance your brains with the local time. Your body clock gets them confused and it may take days before you sit back in your good rhythm .
Jetlag can be recognized by different symptoms. The main symptom is extreme tiredness, this itself can be so bad that you are sick. In addition, you may suffer from various physical and mental symptoms:
- Total hungry
- feeling parched
- Reduced muscle coordination
- mild depression
- Upset stomach
- digestive problems
- Impaired immunity to diseases
- excessive sweating
- concentration problems
- decreased alertness
- Cardiac arrhythmias (rare)
Jet lag prevention is better than cure. Unfortunately, there is no way that works 100 percent, but you can try to reduce the effects of jet lag.
- Stress Keep the boss. If you make too many worries to run on jet lag, or if you’re worried about other things, you can only make jet lag worse. Therefore, make sure you have all your affairs in order before you go. If the stress is really too bad you could possibly ask for antidepressant medications.
- Keep your diet closely. Carbohydrate rich meals will you sleepy, as are turkey, baked potatoes and walnuts. This is because they are the amino acid L-tryptophan contain. Protein-rich meals give you true energy and easier to wake up from. Eat salty foods rather not, because you get bloated. Do not eat too much fatty food, because you are slow of.
- Adjust your bedtime to. Some people are convinced that adjusting their bedtime before traveling to avoid the worst symptoms of jet lag. Before you travel, you adjust your bedtime to an hour each day to compensate for the difference. Example: if your biological clock will lose about three hours, you have three days to leave an hour to go to sleep earlier than usual. Two days before departure you go to bed two hours earlier on the day of departure you sleep three hours earlier. You should not suddenly longer or shorter sleep than usual, because then there is no point yet.
- Keep your hydration. Drink before and during your trip enough water. Research has revealed that a portion of the jet lag symptoms caused by dehydration. Coffee and alcohol extract water from your body and can cause dehydration, so it is better not to drink it during the flight.
- Put forward your watch. Put your watch on the plane all the time of your destination. Keep your arrival then really this time and try not to give in to your sleep needs. Otherwise, your body does still longer to get used to the new time. If you really need a rest, do it briefly, so you evenings also can sleep.
- Keep sports. Research shows that people who exercise regularly have less jetlag. So if you are traveling and more time zones crossed try to move substantial least twenty minutes every day for two weeks before departure. Also you need to stay active during the trip, try a walk with stops or if there is enough space down the aisle of the plane.
- Try light therapy. With the use of light you can manipulate your body clock. Use by the time you want to wake up at the place of destination are enough light, making you better get used to the new time and have less jetlag. Since discovered that light therapy can reduce jet lag are devised special devices that you can use at home or in your hotel room. Most are big and sometimes quite expensive, but there are also smaller versions for sale that you can use anywhere.
- Melatonin. Some people use helps melatonin prevent jet lag, but for other people it again totally helps. In theory, you could avoid the effects of jet lag by swallowing regularly melatonin. However, children should not use melatonin.
The main cause of jet lag is crossing time zones. But besides this cause, there are several factors involved:
- Your physical condition is very important. It’s not good if you’re already tired of the flight or have built a good sleep deprivation. Travelers who travel tired or stressed, which are much more likely to (severe) symptoms of jet lag than those equipped to begin their journey.
- What you eat and drink is also important. Alcohol in the air, for example, a stronger effect in the air than on the ground, thus, you have quicker chances of a hangover. Additionally, you should not eat too much, the plane due to the limited space and movement ability can get you suffer from gastrointestinal problems.
- The environment plays a role. The pressure in the cabin and the dry atmosphere may cause headache, dry skin and throat. You are also the small space and proximity to many other people susceptible to flu, colds and coughs.
People traveling to the north or south, not get jet lag as they traverse any time zones. If you are traveling to the east you have the most jetlag, this because you lose an hour in each time zone crossed. When traveling to the west you’ll get jet lag, but because you have an hour to get you usually easier to get used to the time difference in each time zone crossed.
To treat jet lag, there are not many methods, but there are some things you can do to feel better:
- Find the sun. When you arrive and immediately get jetlag, keep at least an hour sit outside in the sun. Sunlight causes your SCN your biological clock gets well again.
- Set a sleeping and eating schedule on. You can create a personal plan that is specifically tailored to your trip. It is claimed that this plan significantly reduces the symptoms of jet lag. Through your flight, destination and some personal preferences, you get a report with an itinerary made by the computer so that you can move your body clock to the time zone of your destination. On www.stopjetlag.com you can generate such a plan for $ 25 (about 17 euros). The company claims that you will have absolutely no problems with this plan of jet lag. On the website you can read some opinions and reviews from users.
- Using pills and supplements. To let you get used to a new time zone and to sleep better at arrival would you doctor may prescribe a short-acting sedative. One or two nights to find a good rhythm through a pill will not hurt, as long as it did not happen too often. Some experts say that sleeping pills are not a good idea if you’re traveling, because your reflexes and judgment are less. Think therefore twice before you use them. Also good before you buy, some jet lag means that you find on the Internet are not entirely trustworthy.
- Take a circadaine suite. There are (expensive) hotels that have cicadaine luxury suites, customers can stay here with jet lag. The rooms have blackout curtains and volspectrumverlichting , there is also a 24-hour room service. Massages and there are hydrotherapy offered so that you can recover from jet lag. The only downside is that it’s very expensive, but if you are for example on business, it is very convenient.
JETLAG EXPLAINED SYMPTONS, SOLUTIONS AND PREVENTION