Dust mites , Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus or the lives year-round in your home, but in hot, humid summer months you can spare a lot of trouble. Dust mites are about one-half a millimeter in size, and feed on human and animal skin scales. They are also called bed bugs, dust mites, or simply called mites.
Mattress is favorite
Although mites can sit through the whole house, the bedroom – or rather your mattress – a favorite, it’s warm, dark and humid and there is an abundance of food. House dust mite holding temperatures between 20-30 degrees Celsius and a humidity of 60 to 80 percent.
Sex, eat and poop
The average life cycle of a male dust mite is between 10 and 19 days. A female mite can live up to 70 days. And during those days, the female lays 25 to 30 eggs. Apart from sex and eating his dust mites more particularly concerned with poop. And it is this faeces where people may be allergic to.
House dust mite allergy
The excrements of house dust mite-drying after a while and fall apart. When these allergens come in contact with the skin or inhaled, can you get complaints. Common symptoms of dust mite allergy are coughing, eczema, sneezing and watery eyes. Because dust mites love to go in and around the bed, the allergic reaction is at night often more severe than during the day. It is estimated that about 5 to 10 percent of people suffer from dust mite allergy.
How can you tell if there is dust mites in your mattress
There are special tests for sale that you can measure the amount of house dust mite allergen, in mattresses, pillows, comforters, upholstered furniture and / or carpeting is. It works by means of a gauze for the vacuum cleaner hose or by means of a liquid onto the surface to be tested. In most mattresses are to be found mites. It gets really annoying when you are experiencing. A good bedhygiëne can avoid allergy problems.
Tips to keep mites from your bed
- Do not bed, but leave it open so that it can be beaten good airing.
- Bedding keep mijtarm (unfortunately mite-free) by washing at 60 degrees Celsius. Do this preferably weekly, but at least every six weeks. That is how long it takes for an egg has developed into adult mites. Also wash your duvet and pillows regularly. The last remaining dust mites dead ironing you by your bed.
- There are special allergen covers available for quilts, mattresses and pillows. They are easy to clean and fix in many cases the problem. This so-called membraamhoezen let moisture through it.
- There are also special hypoallergenic comforters, mattresses and pillows where dust mites can not penetrate.
- There are also beds with its own climate. Due to temperature control and ventilation of the air humidity in the bed is well below the 50 per cent, and which is unsuitable for dust mites.
- Choose anyway no duvet or pillow stuffed with down, feathers or kapok if you are allergic applied. Choose terms mattress mattress or polyether foam.
- Your mattress can give an anti-mite treatment (leave). Such special treatment kills mold and mites. One treatment is sufficient for an entire mattress life.
- You can also clean your own mattress with a special cleaner mites. Usually does not only slain existing dust mites, but it also goes against the implantation of new mites. Opinions are divided on the efficacy of such agents.
- Replace your mattress once every eight to 10 years. A good mattress will have lost much resilience and become unsanitary.
Do you have additional insurance? Check especially the conditions well. Some insurers reimburse (part of) the costs incurred for example a mattress . The condition is often that you can produce an allergy statement from your doctor.
Tips for the bedroom
- Take a slippery floor. So rather no carpets or rugs. Consider laminate, cork or sail.
- Keep the bedroom as empty as possible. Especially no plants, bookcases or toys. Dust accumulates easily.
- Let pets in the room. Their dander and hair are a treat for dust mites.
- Place the wardrobe preferably outside the bedroom. The more fabric, are more likely to mites.
- You lose most dander while dressing and undressing. Do this preferably in another room.
- Turn the heater only when it is really cold. And the temperature never exceed 22 degrees Celsius. When moist, put briefly heat with the windows open.
- Air the bedroom every day. Throw on a nice sunny winter windows open. The sun combined with freezing temperatures kill all the mites. Air of the room particularly in the case of double glazed windows.
- Do not dry in the bedroom because of the humidity.
- Use a dehumidifier.
- Hugs can make you occasionally a few days in the freezer. The cold, the mites die. Then you should still wash the hug, but can 60 degrees Celsius at a lower temperature.
- Choose cotton or plastic-coated curtains or drapes with a flat surface, so that can not penetrate the dust mites. Please ask the dealer.
- The less furniture in the bedroom there is, the less dust can accumulate.
- Buy new furniture, buy clothing or preferably closed bookcases.
- Do not leave clothes lying around on the floor or on a chair.
- Let the space under your bed free. Your mattress can better ventilation and easier cleaning. Under the bed accumulates often much dust.
- Open the curtains as soon as you wake up. Mites do not like light, so care for maximum incidence of light from the outside or, in any case good lighting inside.
- Make as many clean with a damp cloth or mop. Vacuuming may seem like a good idea, but dust mites are so small that they are not held back by the filter and thus return the house to be blown in. There are, moreover, have for sale that do not transmit mites special filters.