people keep bad sleep habits after it has been evident from the last survey of the Association for Sleep Watching. The use of tablets and mobile phones in bed, and the increasing amount of alcohol drinking before sleep were mentioned as the main causes of sleep problems , and the growing trend that more and more people are dissatisfied with their sleep.
Discover your bad sleep habits
We could say that sleep problems are rooted in our fast-paced society. And often it’s simply ignorance in humans … not knowing what’s unhealthy in general, and what habits cause worse sleep quality.
Therefore, in this article I give a summary of 43 bad sleep habits . In this way, you can find out which bad sleep habits you apply so you can do something about it!
How many of these bad sleep habits do you recognize?
43 Poor Sleeping Habits
1. Snooze : As far as I am concerned, one’s number one. Snoozing disturbs your rhythm and only wakes you up.
2. Irregular sleep times: For a good day-night rhythm, it is important that you have regular sleep time. Go to bed around the same time and get up at the same time. Do not try to deviate too much from this weekend. The more irregular sleep time, the more you disturb your sleep rhythm . You are more often struggling to fall asleep because your body can not estimate when it’s “bedtime”.
3. Watch TV before going to bed: Watching television stimulates your mind, making you not relaxed to bed . Of course this also depends a bit on what you look at. Perhaps one more important reason not to watch TV before bedtime is that the bright and blue light of the TV suppresses the production of Melatonin sleep hormone. As a result, our body can not “properly prepare” to fall asleep.
4. Sports for going to bed: This also stimulates body and mind. Adequate sports and physical exercise are very good for sleep quality, but it does not take place in the last few hours before going to bed. You are still too excited to fall asleep.
5. Use your tablet or mobile in bed to sleep: Like TVs, the blue light from the screen suppresses Melatonine’s production.
6. Bedroom for other things than sleeping (and sex): When the bedroom is only furnished (and used) as a bedroom, our body unconsciously associates the bedroom with sleep and not with other things. For example, avoid a desk and TV in your bedroom, these are furniture / devices that unconsciously associate our body with being awake (working / watching TV).
7. Inadequate exercise: Body movement is very important to sleep well. A good condition makes it easier for you to fall asleep and sleep deeper as well. No time to sport? Perhaps this Fit program will give you a 4-minute program !
8. Eat a heavy meal in the evening : If you eat a heavy meal in the evening, your body is still busy while working in bed. And this can make you feel physically and wake you up.
9. Eat a fat snack before going to bed: In the evening, eat a light snack to avoid sleeping with an empty stomach. A fatty snack is difficult to process for the body and you can suffer from it during sleep.
10. Many drinks in the evening: Drinking a lot of water is very good during the day, but if you drink too much in the evening you have to go to the toilet at night!
11. Drink coffee in the evening: Caffeine has a stimulating effect on our brains and wakes us up.
12. Drink a lot of coffee during the day: drinking too much coffee is not good for us. Try to limit it to 2 a 3 cups a day and stop drinking coffee as early as possible. The caffeine has a longer time effect.
Drinking a lot of coffee is never recommended
13. Stress and concern: Perhaps the biggest cause of bad sleep and hard to turn off in its entirety. Do not worry about taking your bed, for example, to go to bed with your partner, or to write off before you go to bed. Stress on your tasks and responsibilities the next day? Gets a To-Do List for tomorrow before going to bed.
14. Working until just before going to bed: Then take your work to bed!
15. Sleeping on days off (much longer): Regular sleep times are very important. Here on your free day too much depart from your sleep rhythm. Sleeping an hour longer on Sundays is not that bad, but try not to make this difference.
16. Alcohol to sleep: Alcohol causes you to fall asleep faster, but it suppresses deep sleep, which causes you to recover less. In addition, you wake up sooner when the alcohol is working out.
17. Smoking : Just like alcohol, a cigarette can help you easily fall asleep. It does have a bad effect on sleep quality. Stopping is often very difficult, do this with the help of an effective exercise program .
18. Doing an afternoon snack : Here are the opinions that are distributed, but I do not support it. During a nap you do not get into a deep sleep, which makes you feel uncomfortable, as a result of your day-night rhythm. I think a “beauty sleep” is only useful if it’s long enough to get into a deep sleep. In addition, I think that if you need “need” during the day, you just do not meet your sleep needs at night.
19: Too much sleep: If you do not meet your sleep needs, you will not be able to recover enough!
20. Leave mobile and / or other electrical appliances in the bedroom: The electrical waves emitting these devices can severely disturb your sleep. Do not put it in bed or just next to your bed. You can put your mobile phone in the airplane mode.
21. No daylight exposure: Daylight has a lot of influence on your hormone condition and largely regulates day and night rhythm . It is therefore important to be adequately exposed to daylight so that your body knows it’s day and wake up. And that you do the opposite and light the lights.
22. Sleeping means to sleep: I do not support taking resources to take care of what your body should do. With many resources and medicines that take out a “task” of the body, you run the risk that the body goes on and the dusts / hormones themselves will no longer be created. not to mention the “shit” in many sleepers.
23. (Hard) Drug Usage: Anyway, not very wise. Often a bad effect on sleep due to the stimulating effect of many drugs.
24. Warm up at night: You sleep better in a cool bedroom. The ideal (bedroom) temperature is 15 to 16 degrees.
25. Watching TV from bed: In the evening watching TV is not wise (see point 3). Watching TV from the bed also means that your body will unconsciously associate your bedroom / bed with being awake instead of sleeping.
26. Go to sleep with the TV: Sound and light disturb the night’s sleep. Every night you walk through different sleep cycles, changing light and deep sleep. When you fall asleep with your TV, you probably wake up during lighter sleep.
27. Go to sleep with music: Same as TV, do not.
Deep and slight sleep alternate
28. Sleeping under synthetic bedding: Synthetic materials do not breathe well and can feel fiery and suffocating. Choose more natural materials like cotton or silk.
29. Lighting in the evening too long and too bright: Light suppresses the production of the Melatonin sleep hormone. Dim the lights in the evening so your body will already create this hormone.
30. Close all windows at night: Provide good ventilation and adequate supply of fresh air and oxygen. Always leave a window on a mug.
31. Poor darkened room: Light has a lot of influence on our sleep wake-up . When your room is not darkened, we can be awakened early by the light, especially in the morning and especially in summer.
32. Sleep on an (old) mattress: Your mattress should provide a good support. When your mattress is up, this will not happen again. How do you recognize this? If you are in a kind of “pit”, your mattress is softened and simply on. With some mattresses you feel the suspension when the mattress has become old.
33. Sleep with an old pillow: A good pillow supports the neck and proper sleeping position . Over time, depending on the type of pillow and quality, your pillow becomes platter and gives less support. Time for a new one!
34. Going to bed: Do you like to play? Nothing wrong with game , but game not until just before bedtime . If something has a stimulating and “exciting” effect, this will play a game that goes all the way!
35. Bedding does not change regularly: We sleep better in clean bedding ! The best thing is to change our bed linen once a week. I have also been a student so I know this is not the standard for many people 🙂
36. Going to bed with an empty stomach: Eat a light snack before going to bed so your stomach will not protest while sleeping! Avoid heavy meals and hot snacks in the evening … (and do during the day)
37. Read a scary book before sleeping: I am a follower of reading before going to bed. Perfect activity to relax. Keep in mind what you are reading. A scary thriller you’re all about has a counterfeit effect.
38. Going to bed with arguments: Do you argue with your partner or another dear? Then talk it out and do not take it to bed.
39. Sleep together: Yes, this is probably a disappointment for many readers of this article … but sleeping together is at the expense of sleep quality. This is due to the bad sleep habits of the partner. See here the sleeping sleep irritation top 10 .
40. Stay in bed if you can not sleep: Can you really not sleep, do not lie down in bed. Rather take your bed out and try something relaxing. Read what’s in a booklet or worry about it, and try again.
41. Keeping an eye on the time: If there is something you should not do if you can not sleep, keep an eye on your clock or alarm clock!As later and later you get frustrated, you can not sleep.
42. Calculate how long you can sleep: Also, do not recommend staying in the wake up “how little” hours you could sleep if you fell asleep now. Definitely frustrating as your available sleep time is getting shorter!
43. Sleep on your stomach: Not the best sleeping attitude . In this attitude, your back is not well supported and your neck is forced in a strange position. The best sleeping attitude is on your side.
Turn them around and you have 43 sleep tips ;). Have you done the Sleep Test ? This test will help you gain a better understanding of the quality of your sleep.
Improving your sleep using an effective method? The Perfect Sleep in 7 Steps method can help you with this. In this book (and e-course) of sleep sleepers.net sleep specialists, you will find a proven and scientifically-based approach to solving sleep problems step by step.Even if you do not suffer from (severe) sleep problems, you can benefit from the 7-step method. It does not only help you sleep better at night, but also to have more energy throughout the day, to sit well in your skin and to live healthier.