The mystery about sleeping has inspired many scientists over the centuries. Only since the last 25 years we know more about sleep and dreams. Therefore, 40 remarkable facts, figures and facts about sleep you did not know yet!
20 facts about sleep and dreams
01. The amount of sleep you need depends on your age. Babies sleep on average 16 hours, 3-18 years 10 hours, adults 8 hours a day.
02. Men dream 70% of the time over other men, while women dream just as much about men as women.
03. We can only dream of faces we’ve seen, whether short or long ago.
04. Crime caused by a sleep disorder include: dormant driving, penalization, murder and rape.
05. 12% of people only dream in black and white.
06. Dreams are normal. People who never dream sometimes suffer from a personality disorder.
07. 25% of married couples sleep separately.
08. The British were the first to develop a method of waking soldiers for 36 hours. When they were tired someone came up with a very bright lamp to wake them up.
09. During sleep of dolphins only one brain half is at rest, the other brain half remains active for breathing.
10. Animals that sleep the longest once are Koalas. They sleep until 22 hours a day
11. Giraffes sleep very short. They only sleep 1.9 hours a day (in short sessions of 5-10 minutes)
12. You die sooner if you do not sleep than when you do not eat anymore. It takes 2 weeks to starve and 10 days to die due to sleep deprivation.
13. In their dreams, blind people see images except when they are born blind.
14. Within 5 minutes of waking up, you have already forgotten 50% of your dream. After 10 minutes already 90%.
15. 1 in 50 pubs of plastic still in bed.
16. The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a swing chair marathon. The record holder suffered from hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, unclear speech and memory loss.
17. It is impossible to say if someone really wakes up without strict medical supervision.People like naps can open their eyes without being aware.
18. If you fall asleep within five minutes, this means that your sleep shortage is too high. It usually takes between 10 and 15 minutes before you fall asleep.
19. A new baby usually results in 400-750 hours of lost sleep for the parents in the first year.
20. One of the best predictors of insomnia later in life is the development of bad sleep habits by young children.